Jeff Smith (British politician)
|Member of Parliament|
for Manchester Withington
|Assumed office |
7 May 2015
|Preceded by||John Leech|
|Born||26 January 1963|
Manchester, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||University of Manchester|
Jeff Smith (born 26 January 1963) is a British Labour Party politician from Manchester. He was elected at the 2015 general election as the Member of Parliament (MP) for Manchester Withington. He had previously represented the Old Moat ward on Manchester City Council since 1997.
Early life and career
At the general election in May 2015 Smith was elected MP for Manchester Withington, defeating the incumbent Liberal Democrat John Leech, with a majority of 14,873. In the 2017 general election Smith increased his majority to almost 30,000 over Leech, turning the once Liberal Democrat marginal seat into one of Labour's safest.
Smith is a whip for the Labour Party. Smith was one of the 184 Labour MPs to abstain on the controversial Conservative welfare Bill. On 14 March 2019, Smith abstained on Amendment H - a bill to delay the UK's withdrawal from the EU and create sufficient enough time to enable a further referendum on the withdrawal to be held.
- "Manchester Withington Parliamentary constituency: Election 2015". BBC News. Retrieved 7 May 2015.
- Kelly, Richard (29 May 2015). "Pupil Plebiscites and Leftist Leanings: Political Participation and Manchester Grammar School, 1906–2015". Political Studies Association.
- SMITH, Jeffrey. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2017 (online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription or UK public library membership required) (subscription may be required or content may be available in libraries)
- "The Members of the Executive: The Executive Members in 2013 / 14". manchester.gov.uk. Manchester City Council. Archived from the original on 29 March 2014.
- "The Governing Body". Manchester, UK: Parrs Wood High School. Archived from the original on 25 November 2014.
- Wheatstone, Richard (10 June 2013). "Gloves are off as candidates set to do battle for Withington seat". Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- Crick, Michael (6 November 2013). "Unite choosing Labour's candidates: is Cameron correct?". Channel 4 News. Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- Williams, Jennifer (26 January 2017). "Labour MP Jeff Smith risks being sacked as whip after refusing to back Brexit vote". Manchester Evening News.
- Stone, Jon (21 July 2015). "Welfare bill: These are the 184 Labour MPs who didn't vote against the Tories' cuts". The Independent.
- "UK Withdrawal from the EU — Delay Withdrawal to Enable a Further Referendum on Withdrawal to be Held: Recent Votes". TheyWorkForYou. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- "Crispin Blunt and Joan Bakewell elected as Chair and Co-Chair of humanists in Parliament". Humanists UK. 13 September 2017. Retrieved 14 September 2017.
- Staff writer (19 April 2010). "Corridors of Power to Wheels of Steel". Manchester Evening News. Archived from the original on 9 May 2015. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament
for Manchester Withington