Type of site
|Owner||Plant Names Project|
|Created by||The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Harvard University Herbarium, and the Australian National Herbarium|
|Alexa rank||1,098,445 (March 2020[update])|
The International Plant Names Index (IPNI) describes itself as "a database of the names and associated basic bibliographical details of seed plants, ferns and lycophytes." Coverage of plant names is best at the rank of species and genus. It includes basic bibliographical details associated with the names. Its goals include eliminating the need for repeated reference to primary sources for basic bibliographic information about plant names.
IPNI is the product of a collaboration between The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew (Index Kewensis), The Harvard University Herbaria (Gray Herbarium Index), and the Australian National Herbarium (APNI). The IPNI database is a collection of the names registered by the three cooperating institutions and they work towards standardizing the information. The standard of author abbreviations recommended by the International Code of Nomenclature for algae, fungi, and plants is Brummitt and Powell's Authors of Plant Names. A digital and continually updated list of authors and abbreviations can be consulted online at IPNI.
- Plants of the World Online
- The Plant List
- Index Fungorum
- Multilingual Multiscript Plant Name Database
- "Ipni.org Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2020-03-22.
- "Index Kewensis". International Plant Name Index. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- Lughadha, Eimear Nic (29 April 2004). "Towards a working list of all known plant species". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences. 359 (1444): 681–687. doi:10.1098/rstb.2003.1446. PMC 1693359. PMID 15253353.
- Croft, J.; Cross, N.; Hinchcliffe, S.; Lughadha, E. Nic; Stevens, P. F.; West, J. G.; Whitbread, G. (May 1999). "Plant Names for the 21st Century: The International Plant Names Index, a Distributed Data Source of General Accessibility". Taxon. 48 (2): 317. doi:10.2307/1224436. JSTOR 1224436.
- Official website of the IPNI – searchable for plant name, author name, publication