Cannabis in Finland
Cannabis in Finland is illegal. The 50th chapter of the Criminal Code criminalises all dealings with illegal narcotics, including the production, import, transport, sale, possession and use of cannabis.
The prohibition of cannabis in Finland dates back to 1966. The criminalisation of personal use has been controversial. Personal use was made illegal in 1972. After a tie vote, the Grand Committee solved the issue by a random ballot.
The criminal procedure regarding personal use of illegal narcotics was reformed in 2001. The goal of the change was to relieve burden of personal use cases from the courts, expedite enforcement and standardise enforcement policies – specifically by stopping cases from not being prosecuted due to lack of resources. In the reformed procedure the police issue summary fines for most personal use offences, and cases are not brought to court unless the defendant so desires. Aggravated drug offences and possession with intent to redistribute (possession for sale) are always brought to court and penalties are harsher. In practice, possession of up to 10 grams of hashish or 15 grams of marijuana is deemed personal use and carries a penalty of 10–20 day-fines.
An extremely limited group of medicinal users (223 in 2014) are permitted to purchase Sativex mouth spray and/or Bedrocan, Bediol or Bedica brand herbal cannabis from one of 27 apothecaries that have the permit to sell medical cannabis.
- "39/1889: The Criminal Code of Finland". Finlex. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- Kainulainen, Heini. "Huumeiden käyttäjien rikosoikeudellinen kontroll" (in Finnish). Haaste. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- "VKS:2006:1 Seuraamuksen määrääminen huumausaineen käyttörikoksesta" (in Finnish). Finnish Office of the Prosecutor General. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- "Kriminologi: "Säännelty on parempi kuin laiton" - Kannabiksen kohtalosta päätettiin aikoinaan arvalla". ESS.fi (in Finnish). 13 September 2014. Retrieved 21 January 2017.
- "Nämä 27 apteekkia ovat myyneet lääkekannabista". Itä-Savo. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- Lääkekannabiksen käyttö puhuttaa | Turku, yle.fi, 30 March 2010, retrieved 2011-02-17
- Silvàn, Sini. "Lääkekannabis edelleen marginaalinen lääke" (in Finnish). YLE. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- "National Report on the Drugs Situation in Finland" (PDF). National Research and Development Centre for Welfare and Health. December 2001.