Cannabis in West Virginia
Cannabis in West Virginia concerns the drug cannabis in West Virginia, United States where it is illegal except for medical use. Non-medical possession of even small amounts is a misdemeanor crime.
Medical cannabis bills were introduced in West Virginia in each year between 2010 and 2015, when West Virginia Senate Bill 546 and West Virginia House Bill 2909 sought to legalize marijuana for medical use, but failed to advance prior to the end of the legislative session on 14 March.
In 2017, Senate Bill 386 was passed, legalizing medical cannabis for specific chronic medical conditions. Governor Justice signed it into law on April 19, 2017, and it will go into effect in July 2018.
- West Virginia Laws & Penalties
- "Parkersburg officials not interested in marijuana decriminalization". Parkersburg News and Sentinel. 2015-08-15. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- August 27, 2015 (2015-04-29). "Despite new highs, medical Marijuana doesn't pass in West Virginia — this year". The Exponent Telegram. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- "Senate passes medical marijuana bill". West Virginia MetroNews Network. Retrieved 31 March 2017.
- "WV governor signs medical marijuana into law". Charleston Gazette-Mail. Retrieved 2017-04-20.