A cannabis shop, cannabis dispensary, or cannabis cooperative is a location at which marijuana is sold for recreational or medical use. In the Netherlands these are called coffeeshops. In the United States they exist as an outlet for both recreational and medical use. These shops differ from head shops in that the latter sells only drug paraphernalia. In 2015, the City of San Diego made A Green Alternative the first licensed medical marijuana dispensary and delivery service in the city. The world's largest cannabis dispensary is in Las Vegas, Nevada at 112,000 square feet opened by Planet 13 Holdings.
Cannabis selling coffeeshops began in the 1970s. Establishments like Mellow Yellow coffeeshop were known for open cannabis smoking and dealing. After an explosion of hard drugs authorities began to tolerate soft drugs and legalized cannabis selling in registered coffeeshops.
In certain territories in the United States and Canada, dispensaries distribute cannabis to the general public or in some cases only to approved patients. In Uruguay cannabis dispensaries are built by the government and can sell to the public.
Originally appearing in the United States during Prohibition they sold cannabis as a legal intoxicant. Today they exist in New Zealand, Spain Belgium, France, the Netherlands, Slovenia, Austria. and Germany.
- "Dutch cannabis cafe owners fight changes - BBC News". BBC News. 27 April 2012. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- "Inside San Diego's First Legal, Medical Pot Shop". NBC San Diego. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- Chen, Angela (2018-11-15). "We visited the world's largest cannabis dispensary". The Verge. Retrieved 2019-06-25.
- Im, Jimmy (2018-11-03). "The world's largest cannabis dispensary just opened in Vegas—and it has an entertainment complex attached". CNBC. Retrieved 2019-06-25.
- "Amsterdam Coffeeshops Guide". amsterdam.info. Retrieved 2017-11-11.
- "List of Canadian dispensaries". Archived from the original on 2012-06-11.
- Carless, Will (2015-01-07) Uruguay's Year In Marijuana: 3 Successes, 3 Burning Questions. NBC News. Retrieved on 2015-12-17.
- "Marijuana History". Narconon International.
- Hanf Journal: Spanien: Gerichtsverfahren gegen Cannabis-Anbau-Clubs eingestellt! 13. Decembre 2006
- Hanf Journal: Freispruch für „Trekt Uw Plant“, 15. March 2010
- "Bientôt des "cannabistrots" ?". Libération.fr.
- VOC Nederland: Primeur: kijkje in eerste Nederlandse Cannabis Social Club, Tree of Life Amsterdam, 27.10.2014
- Medijuana Magazin: "Dem Ganja verdanke ich mein Leben", 5. Februar 2014
- ORF Salzburg: Marihuana: Club fordert Legalisierung, 14.05.2014
- Hanf Journal: Die Eastside Growers: Handeln, nicht quatschen, 1.3.2011