Jan Crawford at Miller Center, 2010
|Other names||Jan Crawford Greenburg|
|Education||University of Alabama |
University of Chicago Law School
|Occupation||Journalist and Political expert|
Jan Crawford, also known as Jan Crawford Greenburg, is a television journalist, author, and attorney. She serves as a political correspondent and chief legal correspondent for CBS News and previously for ABC News. She appears regularly on the CBS Evening News, Face the Nation, CBS This Morning, and CBS News Sunday Morning. She led CBS News's coverage of the 2012 Presidential Elections. She is a New York Times bestselling author of Supreme Conflict: The Inside Story of the Struggle for Control of the United States Supreme Court and also a member of the New York State Bar Association.
Crawford grew up on a farm in Baileyton, Alabama, graduating from Albert P. Brewer High School, then graduated from the University of Alabama in 1987 and from the University of Chicago Law School in 1993.
She joined the Chicago Tribune as a reporter in 1987. After graduating from law school, she began covering legal affairs for the Tribune, which put her on the Supreme Court beat in 1994. In 1996, she won the Tribune's top reporting award for her work in a 13-part series on the South a generation after the civil rights movement. In 2001, her work was honored with the Tribune's top reporting award. In his first television interview, Chief Justice Roberts talked to Crawford about the court, his views on the law, and his life since taking office. Justice John Paul Stevens also chose Crawford for his first network television interview, reflecting on his memories of the man who appointed him to the Supreme Court in 1975, former President Gerald R. Ford, on the occasion of Ford's funeral.
From 1998 until 2007, Crawford provided legal analysis on the Supreme Court for The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer. She helped to provide live, gavel-to-gavel coverage on PBS of the Supreme Court confirmation hearings of Chief Justice Roberts and Justice Alito, and served as the Supreme Court analyst for Face the Nation on CBS. From 2007 to 2009, she had been senior legal correspondent for ABC and wrote a blog titled "Legalities." In 2010, she began work for CBS, with a blog called "Crossroads." Currently she is the chief legal and political correspondent for CBS.
- Jan Crawford Greenburg, Supreme Conflict: The Inside Story of the Struggle for Control of the United States Supreme Court New York : Penguin Press, 2007. ISBN 9781594201011
- "ABOUT JAN CRAWFORD GREENBURG". Forum on Law, Culture & Society. Fordham University School of Law. Archived from the original on 27 June 2015. Retrieved 26 June 2015.
- ABC Medianet: Greenburg bio. Archived June 2, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- Library of Congress: Crawford bio. 2007 National Book Festival. |archive-url=https://web.archive.org/web/20080802103936/https://www.loc.gov/bookfest/2007/authors/Greenburg.html |archive-date=2 August 2008
- "Jan Crawford". CBS News. 1 February 2012. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
Jan Crawford is CBS News' Political Correspondent. She also serves as CBS News Chief Legal Correspondent and contributes regularly to the "CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley," "CBS This Morning," and "Face The Nation," as well as CBS Radio News and CBSNews.com.