Cannabis in Ukraine
Soviet Ukraine was one of the biggest producers of hemp, and before the 1950s, it had over 150.000 hectares dedicated to hemp cultivation. Cannabis wasn't widely used as a recreational drug in Soviet Ukraine, most of the grown hemp would be used for its other natural resources such as oil and fiber.
During the Soviet-Afghan war, Charas (Чарас) were often bought from Afghan children and then smoked by Soviet soldiers, it would usually get smuggled into the Soviet Union by returning soldiers.
Cannabis that is suitable for recreational use is often grown in small plantations, hidden amongst corn, in black soil suitable for cultivation which is found in the central and southern parts of the country.
According to Article 106-2 KUoAP, cultivation (without intent to sell) up to 10 cannabis plants qualifies as an administrative violation, with a fine of from 18 to 100 non-taxable income units (300-1700 hryvnia in 2011) and the seizure of plants.
2017 Cannabis March of Freedom
2019 Petition calls for legalization of medical cannabis in Ukraine.
A petition calling for the legalization of the use of cannabis for medicinal reasons in Ukraine on the Verkhovna Rada website on Jan. 30 has already drawn 6,600 signatures and the support of Acting Health Minister Ulana Suprun.
The head of the Ukrainian Association of Medical Cannabis, the lawyer Gennadii Shabas created the petition with the backing of 16 public organizations. The petition said that medical cannabis could greatly help over two million Ukrainians suffering from a wide range of ailments, including epilepsy, cancer and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Ющенко, Віктор (2009-03-19). "Про внесення змін до Кодексу України про адміністративні правопорушення та Кримінального кодексу України щодо посилення відповідальності за незаконний посів або незаконне вирощування снотворного маку чи конопель (№ 1165-VI)". Верховна Рада України.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-06-08. Retrieved 2017-01-21.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Davies, Gareth. "Ukrainian riot police called to prevent a rally in support of legalising marijuana | Daily Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- 2017 Cannabis March of Freedom in Ukraine. Facebook
- Ответственность за выращивание конопли и хранение марихуаны, zakon-online.com.ua, 12 September 2012, retrieved 2014-07-22