Cannabis in Idaho
Cannabis in Idaho is illegal for all purposes, and possession of small amounts is a misdemeanor crime.
In the early 20th century, amidst a nationwide trend of cannabis prohibition, Idaho outlawed the drug in 1927. In the same period, the mayor of Boise noted his concerns:
The Mexican beet field workers have introduced a new problem-the smoking in cigarettes or pipes of marihuana or grifo. its use is as demoralizing as the use of narcotics. Smoking grifo is quite prevalent along the Oregon Short Line Railroad; and Idaho has no law to cope with the use and spread of this dangerous drug (WCTU, 1928: 3).
Unsuccessful ballot initiative efforts
Attempts to field ballot initiatives to vote on medical cannabis failed in 2012 and 2014 due to insufficient signatures, and a 2016 attempt was withdrawn before the signatures were counted. In 2018 another attempt was drawn when its organizer had to quit to care for her ailing son.
2013 statement against legalization
2015 veto of CBD oil legalization
Senate Bill 1146a, which would have legalized CBD oil for persons with severe epilepsy, passed the Idaho Legislature following "lengthy and emotional" hearings, but was vetoed by Governor Butch Otter in April 2015.
In his veto, Otter stated:
It ignores ongoing scientific testing on alternative treatments... It asks us to trust but not to verify. It asks us to legalize the limited use of cannabidiol oil, contrary to federal law. And it asks us to look past the potential for misuse and abuse with criminal intent.
The Idaho Attorney General, in report 132-133, clarified in 2015 that CBD containing 0% THC is permissible as long as it is derived from one of the five identified (non-flower) parts of the cannabis plant.
- "Why Idaho remains a pot-free island | The Spokesman-Review". www.spokesman.com. Retrieved 2019-12-17.
- Press, KBOI Web Staff and Associated (2015-04-16). "Otter vetoes cannabis oil bill". KBOI. Retrieved 2019-12-17.
- Richard Davenport-Hines (29 November 2012). The Pursuit of Oblivion: A Social History of Drugs. Orion Publishing Group. pp. 126–. ISBN 978-1-78022-542-5.
- "History of Marihuana Legislation - State Prohibition - 1914-1930". Druglibrary.org. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
- "SENATE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION 112 – Idaho State Legislature". Legislature.idaho.gov. 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
- "Idaho Lawmakers, Cities Want No Part Of Relaxed Marijuana Laws". Boise State Public Radio. 2013-03-27. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
- "Boise, Meridian, Nampa, Caldwell news by Idaho Statesman". Idahostatesman.com. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- Russell, Betsy Z. (2015-04-16). "Otter vetoes bill to allow CBD oil to be used to treat sick Idaho kids | The Spokesman-Review". Spokesman.com. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- Wasden, Lawrence G. (2015). "IDAHO ATTORNEY GENERAL'S ANNUAL REPORT" (PDF). Idaho Office of Drug Policy. Archived from the original on Nov 12, 2019. Retrieved Nov 12, 2019.
- Idaho, Access. "Cannabidiol (CBD)". Office of Drug Policy. Retrieved 2019-11-12.