Cannabis in Peru is not legal for recreational use, possession for own consumption is also decriminalized by the Criminal Code and medical cannabis was legalized in 2017.
Possession of under 8 grams is considered personal use and it is not punished.
Cultivation, production or sale is punished with 8 to 15 years in prison.
In 2017, the administration of President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski announced a plan to legalize medical cannabis in Peru. The announcement followed a raid in Lima, in which police shut down an operation which produced cannabis medicines for 80 members whose children suffered from epilepsy and other ailments. Later that year, by a vote of 68 to 5, Peru's congress legalized cannabis oil for medical use.
In June 2021, Cannabis & Co. opened the first legal dispensary in Peru for the sale of medicinal marijuana after obtaining signed consent (permits) from the following four Peruvian government entities:
- General Directorate of Medicines
- Supplies and Drugs (Digemid)
- Ministry of Health (Minsa)
- Anti-Drug Directorate of the National Police
For the grand opening, Cannabis & Co. registered three Cannabis brands from three different countries; Futura Farms (Peru), Epifractan (Uruguay), and Cannabidiol Life (United States).
- ^ Prado Saldarriaga, Pablo (1996). "El tipo básico en el delito de tráfico ilícito de drogas". Archived from the original on 1996.
- ^ "Modificando el Código Penal en materia de Tráfico Ilícito de Drogas". Instituto de Defensa Legal – Seguridad Ciudadana. Archived from the original on 2012-10-15.
- ^ "Ley Nº 28002" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-10-06. Retrieved 2016-11-23.
- ^ "Código Penal. Decreto Legislativo Nº 635".
- ^ Manuel Vigo. "Peru rules out proposals to legalize marijuana". Archived from the original on 20 November 2015. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- ^ "Legalización de la marihuana en Perú a debate". Peru21. 19 July 2014. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- ^ TNI. "Peru - Drug Law Reform in Latin America". Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- ^ Peru's government proposes to legalise medical marijuana | The Independent
- ^ "Medical marijuana is now legal in Peru". 21 October 2017.
- ^ "Miraflores: Abren dispensatorio para venta de cannabis medicinal". América Noticias (in Spanish). Retrieved 2021-06-04.
- ^ PERU21, NOTICIAS (2021-06-02). "Miraflores: abren primer dispensario que pone a la venta cannabis medicinal Digemid Dirandro nndc | LIMA". Peru21 (in Spanish). Retrieved 2021-06-04.
- ^ Abren dispensatorio para venta de cannabis medicinal en Miraflores | Primera Edición, retrieved 2021-06-04