Under Secretary of Agriculture for Food Safety
The Under Secretary for Food Safety is a subcabinet position within the United States Department of Agriculture responsible for oversight of the policies and programs of the Food Safety and Inspection Service. The Under Secretary chairs the U.S. Codex Steering Committee, which provides guidance to U.S. delegations to the Codex Alimentarius Commission. The Food Safety and Inspection Service is responsible for ensuring that the nation’s supply of meat, poultry, and processed egg products are safe and correctly labeled and packaged.
The Under Secretary of Food Safety is appointed by the President and confirmed by the U.S. Senate. The Under Secretary is selected from among individuals with specialized training or significant experience in food safety or public health programs. The position was created by the Department of Agriculture Reorganization Act of 1994, signed into law in October 1994.
As of March 2019 The current Under Secretary of Food Safety is Mindy M. Brashears. The former Under Sectary serving under Barack Obama was Brian Ronholm.  Previous Under Secretaries include Dr. Elisabeth Hagen (August 2010- December 2013), Richard Allen Raymond (July 2005–January 2009), Elsa A. Murano (October 2001–December 2004) and Catherine Woteki (July 1997–January 2001). From December 1, 2004 until July 15, 2005, Merle D. Pierson was Acting Under Secretary. The then-incumbent Food Safety and Inspection Service Administrator, Mike Taylor, became the acting Under Secretary from October 1994 to November 1996.
- “USDA Mission Areas”.
- “Dr. Richard Raymond Bios”. Retrieved September 20, 2007.
- “Food and Safety Inspection Service”. Retrieved September 20, 2007.
- “US CODE: Title 7,6981. Under Secretary of Agriculture for Food Safety”. Retrieved September 20, 2007.
- “5a.pdf” (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on December 3, 2007. Retrieved September 20, 2007.
- “PRESIDENT OBAMA, SECRETARY VILSACK ANNOUNCE INTENT TO NOMINATE DR. ELISABETH HAGEN AS USDA UNDER SECRETARY FOR FOOD SAFETY”. January 25, 2010.
- “Presidential Nomination: Richard Allen Raymond”. Retrieved September 20, 2007.
- “USDANEWS/Editor’s Roundup/Catherine Woteki”. Retrieved September 20, 2007.
- “Pierson, Dr. Merle D.” Retrieved September 20, 2007.
- “USDA NEWS\VOL 60 NO. 6\2001\Roundup\E Murano”. Retrieved September 20, 2007.