Cannabis in Zambia is illegal for recreational use. In December 2019, by unanimous decision, it was legalized for export and medicinal purposes only. Cannabis is known as ''ifyamba or dobo in Zambia. .however there hasn't been any studies done by local scientists or health experts on how good Zambian weed is relative to weed strains in other countries. Most Zambian youths would rather smoke weed imported from congo (popularly known as congo poison).the local weed is widely perceived to be of very low grade.
In March 2017, Home Affairs Minister Steven Kampyongo clarified that it is legal to cultivate cannabis for medical use if a license is obtained from the Minister of Health. In May 2017, however, Health Minister Dr. Chitalu Chilufya stated that he has no intention of issuing any cultivation licenses.
- "Zambia legalizes cannabis, kind of". The GrowthOp. 2019-12-16. Retrieved 2019-12-16.
- African Economic History. University of Wisconsin, African Studies Program. 1976. p. 21.
- "Cultivation of Cannabis for Medicinal purposes is Legal in Zambia-Home Affairs Minister". Lusaka Times. March 2, 2017. Retrieved July 16, 2018.
- "Health Ministry has no intention of giving out medical marijuana green light, there are better alternatives around". Lusaka Times. July 7, 2017. Retrieved July 16, 2018.
- "Medical Marijuana Laws in Zambia". marijuanadoctors.com. Retrieved July 16, 2018.