Pennsylvania State Senate
|Pennsylvania General Assembly|
New session started
|January 5, 2021|
Length of term
|Authority||Article II, Pennsylvania Constitution|
|November 3, 2020|
|November 8, 2022|
|State Senate Chamber|
Pennsylvania State Capitol
|Pennsylvania State Senate|
The Pennsylvania State Senate is the upper house of the Pennsylvania General Assembly, the Pennsylvania state legislature. The State Senate meets in the State Capitol building in Harrisburg. Senators are elected for four year terms, staggered every two years such that half of the seats are contested at each election. Even numbered seats and odd numbered seats are contested in separate election years. The President Pro Tempore of the Senate becomes the Lieutenant Governor of Pennsylvania in the event of the sitting Lieutenant Governor's removal, resignation or death. In this case the President Pro Tempore and Lieutenant Governor would be the same person. The Pennsylvania Senate has been meeting since 1791.
|Majority party (R)||Leadership position||Minority party (D)|
|Kim Ward||Floor Leader||Jay Costa|
|John Gordner||Whip||Anthony H. Williams|
|Bob Mensch||Caucus Chairman||Wayne D. Fontana|
|Ryan Aument||Caucus Secretary||Maria Collett|
|Pat Browne||Appropriations Committee Chairman||Vincent Hughes|
|Dave Argall||Policy Committee Chairman||Katie Muth|
|Camera Bartolotta||Caucus Administrator||Judy Schwank|
(shading indicates majority caucus)
As of June 9, 2021[update]:
(shading indicates majority caucus)
|End of previous legislature||28||1||21||50||0|
|January 5, 2021||28||1||20||49||1|
|January 13, 2021||21||50||0|
|January 17, 2021||27||49||1|
|February 15, 2021||20||48||2|
|June 9, 2021||28||21||50||0|
|Latest voting share||58%||42%|
The Senate is made up of 50 members who are elected by district. In 2012, a State Senate district had an average population of 254,047 residents.
List of current members
|Standing committee||Majority membership||Minority membership|
|Aging & Youth|
|Agriculture & Rural Affairs|
|Banking & Insurance|
|Communications & Technology|
|Community, Economic & Recreational Development|
|Consumer Protection & Professional Licensure|
|Environmental Resources & Energy|
|Game & Fisheries|
|Health & Human Services|
|Labor & Industry|
|Law & Justice|
|Rules & Executive Nominations|
|Urban Affairs & Housing|
|Veterans Affairs & Emergency Preparednesss|
Past composition of the Senate
- Project Vote Smart (Pennsylvania State Senate information and voting records is the link that leads to information about elected officials and candidates in Pennsylvania.)
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives
- President of the Pennsylvania Senate
- President pro tempore of the Pennsylvania Senate
- List of Pennsylvania state legislatures
- The Pennsylvania Manual, pp. 3–7.
- Article II, section 3, Pennsylvania Constitution.
- Article IV, section 14, Pennsylvania Constitution.
- Senator Brewster not seated
- Hughes, Sarah Anne (2021-01-12). "Federal judge rules in favor of Democratic Pa. Senate candidate GOP refused to seat". Spotlight PA. Retrieved 2021-01-12.
- Murphy, Jan (January 17, 2021). "Pa. state senator dies from brain cancer at age 49". PennLive. Retrieved January 17, 2021.
- "State senator to resign to join congressman's office". Associated Press. February 15, 2021. Retrieved March 16, 2021.
- KRAWCZENIUK, BORYS. "Flynn sworn in as new state senator". Scranton Times-Tribune. Retrieved 2021-06-09.
- Toth, Matthew (2021-05-18). "48th state senate district: Lebanon businessman declares victory with sizable lead in race". York Daily Record. Retrieved 2021-06-09.
- Trostle, Sharon, ed. (2009). The Pennsylvania Manual. 119. Harrisburg: Pennsylvania Department of General Services. ISBN 0-8182-0334-X.