|Chief Justice of the Idaho Supreme Court|
|Assumed office |
January 1, 2021
|Preceded by||Roger Burdick|
|Justice of the Idaho Supreme Court|
|Assumed office |
September 27, 2017
|Appointed by||Butch Otter|
|Preceded by||Dan Eismann|
George Richard Bevan
May 5, 1959
Twin Falls, Idaho, U.S.
|Education||Brigham Young University|
George Richard Bevan (born May 5, 1959) is an American attorney and jurist, currently the chief justice of the Idaho Supreme Court. He previously served as an Idaho district court judge from 2003 until 2017, when he was appointed to the supreme court.
Early life and education
Born and raised in Twin Falls, Idaho, Bevan graduated from Twin Falls High School in 1977, and then attended Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. He earned a Bachelor of Science in business management and finance in 1984, and completed a Juris Doctor at the J. Reuben Clark Law School in 1987.
Idaho District Court
In 2003, Governor Dirk Kempthorne appointed Bevan as a state judge on the Idaho District Court for the 5th judicial district, which covers the south central portion of the state. He was re-elected in 2006, 2010, and 2014.
Idaho Supreme Court
In April 2017, Idaho Supreme Court justice Dan Eismann announced that he would retire on August 31. The Idaho Judicial Council provided Governor Butch Otter with four replacement candidates to choose from: Bevan, state judges John Stegner and Greg Moeller, and attorney Rebecca Rainey. Otter announced on August 29 that he had selected Bevan for the vacancy; Stegner was appointed to the court the following May.
Bevan was sworn in as a justice of the supreme court on September 27, 2017. Unopposed in the 2018 election, his current term expires in January 2025; the nonpartisan election is held within the statewide primary election in May. Through a vote of his peers on the supreme court, he was elected chief justice in November 2020 and began serving in that capacity on January 1, 2021.
- "Hon. G. Richard Bevan". Idaho Supreme Court. Idaho Judicial Branch. 2017. Retrieved October 13, 2017.
- Russell, Betsy Z. (August 29, 2017). "Otter names 5th District Judge Richard Bevan to Idaho Supreme Court". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, WA. Retrieved October 13, 2017.
- Brown, Nathan (August 29, 2017). "Twin Falls Judge Bevan named to Idaho Supreme Court". Times-News. Twin Falls, ID. Retrieved October 13, 2017.
- Ysursa, Ben (2014). "List of All Candidate Declarations for 2014" (PDF). Office of the Idaho Secretary of State. State of Idaho. Retrieved October 13, 2017.
- "Idaho Supreme Court Justice Eismann Announces Retirement" (PDF). Idaho Supreme Court. State of Idaho. April 10, 2017. Retrieved October 13, 2017.
- "Judge Bevan Named to Idaho Supreme Court" (PDF). Idaho Supreme Court. State of Idaho. August 29, 2017. Retrieved October 13, 2017.
- "Idaho In Session Archive: Justice G. Richard Bevan Investiture, September 27, 2017". Idaho Public Television. State of Idaho. 2017. Retrieved October 13, 2017.
- "Primary election results". State of Idaho. May 15, 2018. Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- "Bevan Named New Chief Justice, Burdick Moves to Vice Chief in January" (PDF). State of Idaho Judicial Branch. November 4, 2020. Retrieved January 6, 2021.
Daniel T. Eismann
| Justice of the Idaho Supreme Court
Roger S. Burdick
| Chief Justice of the Idaho Supreme Court|