|Owner(s)||Voice Media Group|
|News editor||Patrick Strickland|
|Founded||October 2, 1980|
|Headquarters||2030 Main Street, Suite 410|
|Circulation||43,810 (as of June 2016)|
Dallas Observer is a free digital and print publication based in Dallas, Texas. The Observer publishes daily online coverage of local news, restaurants, music, and arts, as well as longform narrative journalism. A weekly print issue circulates every Thursday. The Observer has been owned by Voice Media Group since January 2013.
The Observer is a member of the Association of Alternative Newsmedia. It has won dozens of national and regional awards for its journalism, including two first places for longtime columnist Jim Schutze in the 2017 AAN Awards. In 1995, the H.L. Mencken Writing Award went to columnist Laura Miller, who went on to become the mayor of Dallas after leaving the Observer. In 2007, two Observer reporters, Jesse Hyde and Megan Feldman, were named finalists in the Livingston Awards for Young Journalists.
The Observer was started in October 1980 by partners Ken Kirk, Bob Walton, Jeff Wilmont, and Gregg Wurdeman as a weekly local arts and cinema review publication. In 1991, the Observer was bought by New Times Media. In 2005, New Times both acquired and adopted the corporate name of Village Voice Media. In September 2012, Village Voice Media executives Scott Tobias, Christine Brennan, and Jeff Mars bought Village Voice Media's papers and associated web properties from its founders and formed Voice Media Group.
- "Dallas Observer | Staff". Dallas Observer. n.d. Archived from the original on 10 March 2022. Retrieved 14 March 2022.
- "eCirc for Consumer Magazines". Alliance for Audited Media. December 31, 2013. Archived from the original on January 23, 2017. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- "Dallas Observer | About Us". Dallas Observer. n.d. Archived from the original on 7 March 2022. Retrieved 14 March 2022.
- Snead, Molly (1 August 2017). "2017 AAN Awards Winners Announced". Association of Alternative Newsmedia. Archived from the original on 12 April 2021. Retrieved 14 March 2022.
COLUMN circulation 45,000 & over | 1st PLACE: Dallas Observer: Jim Schutze
- Goad, Kimberly (May 1999). "WHO IS LAURA MILLER AND WHY DOES SHE HATE DALLAS?". Dallas Magazine. Retrieved January 25, 2017.
- Vane, Sharyn (November 1998). "Consider the Alternative". American Journalism Review. Archived from the original on June 6, 2013. Retrieved October 18, 2012.
- Richard Siklos (24 October 2005). "The Village Voice, Pushing 50, Prepares to Be Sold to a Chain of Weeklies". The New York Times. eISSN 1553-8095. ISSN 0362-4331. OCLC 1645522. Archived from the original on 19 January 2022. Retrieved 14 March 2022.
- "Village Voice Media Execs Acquire The Company's Famed Alt Weeklies, Form New Holding Company". Tech Crunch. Retrieved September 27, 2012.
- Mooney, Michael J. (24 October 2012). "Why the Dallas Observer Was Sold". D Magazine. ISSN 0161-7826. LCCN sn78000457. OCLC 4020946. Archived from the original on 20 November 2021. Retrieved 25 January 2017.