|Part of a series on|
Cannabis in New Hampshire is illegal for recreational use and is decriminalized for possession of up to three-quarters of an ounce (21 g) as of July 18, 2017. It is permitted for medical use.
Medical cannabis (2013)
In July 2013, New Hampshire Governor Maggie Hassan signed into law a bill allowing the use of medical cannabis for patients with "chronic or terminal diseases" and "debilitating medical conditions." The bill was noted as one of the stricter medical marijuana bills in the nation, allowing cannabis only after all other treatment methods have failed. Hassan also modified the measure, prohibiting patients from growing their own cannabis.
Failed legalization (2014)
On January 15, 2014, New Hampshire's legislature voted preliminarily 170 to 162 in favor of House Bill 492, based on Colorado Amendment 64, which would have legalized the personal use of up to 1 ounce (28 g) of marijuana by those over 21 years old as well as production and sale by licensed facilities and dispensaries.
On July 18, 2017, New Hampshire decriminalized cannabis, replacing misdemeanor charges with a $100 fine for a first or second offense and $300 for a third offense. Four offenses within three years would result in misdemeanor charges.
- Axelson, Ben (July 24, 2013). "Medical marijuana legal in New Hampshire with strict regulations". The Post-Standard. Archived from the original on January 4, 2018. Retrieved November 7, 2016.
- Knowles, David (July 23, 2013). "New Hampshire legalizes medical marijuana". New York Daily News. Archived from the original on September 24, 2020. Retrieved November 7, 2016.
- Love, Norma (December 30, 2013). "NH House To Vote On Legalizing Up To 1 Ounce Of Pot". WBZ-TV. Associated Press. Archived from the original on January 28, 2021. Retrieved April 16, 2021.
- Altieri, Erik (January 15, 2014). "After Lengthy Floor Debate, New Hampshire House of Representatives Approves Marijuana Legalization". NORML. Archived from the original on January 22, 2021. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- Stuart, Hunter (January 15, 2014). "New Hampshire House Gives Preliminary Approval To Legalizing Recreational Marijuana". The Huffington Post. Archived from the original on August 6, 2020. Retrieved April 16, 2021.
- "New Hampshire Decriminalizes Small Amounts Of Marijuana". WBZ-TV. Associated Press. July 19, 2017. Archived from the original on February 19, 2018. Retrieved April 16, 2021.