|Member of the Illinois Senate|
from the 50th district
|Assumed office |
January 9, 2019
|Preceded by||Sam McCann|
|Born||March 8, 1984|
|Alma mater||Arizona State University (B.A)|
University of Illinois (M.A.)
Valparaiso University (J.D.)
Steve McClure is a Republican member of the Illinois Senate for the 50th district. The 50th District, located in Central Illinois, includes all of Calhoun, Greene, Morgan, Pike, and Scott counties as well as portions of Macoupin, Madison, Jersey, and Sangamon counties.
McClure ran in the 2018 general election. Originally a primary opponent to Senator Sam McCann, McClure ran unopposed after McCann chose to run as a third party candidate in the 2018 gubernatorial election. McClure was a prosecutor with the Sangamon County State's Attorney's Office prior to taking office. He graduated from Arizona State University with degrees in political science and history and later attended Valparaiso University School of Law where he graduated with a Juris Doctor. McClure also has a master's degree in political studies from the University of Illinois at Springfield that he earned while a member of the Illinois Senate Republican appropriations staff.
- "PA 97-0006 Legislative District 56" (PDF). Illinois State Board of Elections. 2011-05-18. Retrieved 2015-09-07.
- Miller, Rich (April 19, 2018). "Sen. Sam McCann announces for governor as Conservative Party candidate". Capitol Fax. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- Finke, Doug (September 19, 2017). "Republican McClure will run against McCann in 50th Senate district". The State Journal-Register. Retrieved December 9, 2018.
- Schoenberg, Bernard (September 19, 2017). "Steve McClure considers taking on Sam McCann in 50th Senate District". The State Journal-Register. Retrieved December 9, 2018.
- Barlow, Sarah E., ed. (November 15, 2018). "Biographies of New Senate Members" (PDF). First Reading. Illinois Legislative Research Unit. p. 10. Retrieved December 31, 2018.
- Steve McClure for Senate official campaign site