Peachtree Creek Greenway
|Peachtree Creek Greenway|
|Length||12.3 miles (19.8 km)|
|Location||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Use||Cycling and pedestrians|
The Peachtree Creek Greenway trail is a multi-use trail under construction along the Peachtree Creek in and near Atlanta, Georgia, United States, which will traverse the cities of Atlanta, Brookhaven, Chamblee and Doraville once complete.
Groundbreaking was expected in early 2018. Most of the Greenway will be a 14 foot (4.3 m) wide concrete path.
Controversy has risen in regards to affordable housing and gentrification along the corridor. Anticipation for the Peachtree Creek Greenway has already caused the median gross rent to rise by 22.9%. The City of Brookhaven has been awarded $2.7 million in federal funds towards the project through the Atlanta Regional Commission. In 2017 The City of Brookhaven attempted top take 19 acres of land for the Peachtree Creek Greenway through eminent domain. In March of 2018 a Dekalb County Superior Court Judge ruled against Brookhaven, calling it an illegal “bad faith” deal.
A coalition was formed on April 30, 2018 to address affordable housing surrounding the greenway.
Points of interest
Section 1 (under construction, 2018–)
Section 2 (proposed)
- Northeast Plaza
- Fisher Trail Park
Section 3 (proposed)
- Avenues 85 Apartments
- Echo Ridge Swim & Tennis Club
- Globe Academy
- 5 East Apartments
- Seven Springs Apartments
- Clairmont Terrace
- McDaniel School Park
- The Brooke Apartments
- St. Pius X Catholic High School
- The Historical Mill
Section 4 (proposed)
Section 5 (proposed)
- http://www.reporternewspapers.net/2017/10/28/peachtree-creek-greenway-model-mile-unveiled/ Retrieved 11 November, 2017.
- “Peachtree Creek Greenway | Brookhaven Georgia”. www.brookhavenga.gov. Retrieved 2018-02-23.
- “Brookhaven appoints Peachtree Creek Greenway steering committee”. ajc. Retrieved 2018-02-23.
- Figliolini, Rico. “Brookhaven residents get first look at Peachtree Creek Greenway ‘model mile’ design”. reporternewspapers.net. Retrieved February 23, 2018.
- “Peachtree Creek Greenway hastening Brookhaven gentrification, some say”. Reporter Newspapers. 2018-03-19. Retrieved 2018-03-28.
- Democrat, Tallahassee. “Block Group 2, Census Tract 214.17, DeKalb County, Georgia: Median Gross Rent”. Tallahassee Democrat. Retrieved 2018-03-28.
- “Peachtree Creek Greenway gains funds, planning”. Dunwoody Crier. Retrieved 2018-03-28.
- “Judge rules against Brookhaven in eminent domain case”. Reporter Newspapers. 2018-03-21. Retrieved 2018-03-28.
- “Coalition forms to address affordable housing on Buford Highway”. Reporter Newspapers. Retrieved 2018-05-14.