Aerial view of Ogletown
|Elevation||79 ft (24 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||214405|
John Ogle was an early colonial landowner in the area, settling in White Clay Creek Hundred around 1667. Ogletown is named after his son Thomas Ogle, who settled there in the 1730s. The name is associated with the area from before 1774, and in the late 19th century it was a small village with a store, a post office, and about half a dozen houses.
In 1997, a road expansion project of Route 273 obliterated any remnants of the original hamlet. In the course of highway construction, the grave of Thomas Ogle was uncovered, “badly disturbed by road construction and the construction of a gas station on the site.” The headstone and remains were moved to a green space inside the new cloverleaf intersection, with a plaque commemorating the history of the town.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Ogletown, Delaware
- Scharf, J. Thomas (1888). HISTORY OF DELAWARE: 1609-1888 (PDF). Philadelphia. pp. 932 ff.
- “Delaware Backstory: Historic grave saved but not shared”. delawareonline. Retrieved 2017-10-14.