|Member of the Illinois Senate|
from the 29th district
|Assumed office |
January 9, 2013
|Preceded by||Susan Garrett|
|West Deerfield Township Supervisor|
1997 – 2013
|Preceded by||Marilyn Craig|
|Succeeded by||Alyson Feiger|
|Born||September 20, 1956|
|Alma mater||Knox College|
Julie A. Morrison (born September 20, 1956) is a member of the Illinois Senate from the 29th district. The 29th district includes all or parts of Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove, Bannockburn, Deerfield, Glencoe, Glenview, Highland Park, Lake Bluff, Lake Forest, Lincolnshire, Northbrook and North Chicago. Prior to her service in the Illinois Senate, she was the West Deerfield Township Supervisor.
Early life, education and career
Morrison was born and grew up in Beardstown, Illinois. She attended Knox College and graduated with a bachelor's in political science. She took a job with the Natural Gas Pipeline Company of America before being appointed to the Advisory Council for the Department of Children and Family Services where she served until 1996. During her final two years she served as chair of the commission. In 1997 she was elected West Deerfield Township Supervisor. As Supervisor she was the chief executive officer, chairman of the board of trustees and treasurer of all funds. She handled the daily operations of the administration building.
In 2011, Morrison announced her intention to run for state senate to replace the retiring Susan Garrett. She easily defeated Milton Sumpton in the primary and went on to face Arie Friedman in the general election.
In the general election, Morrison was endorsed by State Representative Karen May, State Representative Elaine Nekritz, Senator Susan Garrett, Assistant Senate Majority Leader Jeffrey Schoenberg, Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky and former Congressman John Porter.
Morrison won the election to become the next state senator from the 29th district.
- Veeneman, Drew. "Map of Senate 29" (PDF). precinctmaps.com. Retrieved 2012-12-21.
- "Supervisor Julie Morrison". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved 2012-12-21.
- Kaplan, Natalie. "West Deerfield Township Supervisor Announces Bid for State Senate". Deerfield Patch. Archived from the original on 2013-04-20. Retrieved 2012-12-21.
- "General Primary - 03/20/2012 - 29th Senate". Illinois State Board of Elections. Retrieved 2012-12-21.
- "Julie Morrison For State Senate Endorsements". Friends of Julie Morrison. Retrieved 2012-12-21.
- "Garrett Endorsement Kicks Off Morrison Campaign". Highland Park Patch. Retrieved 2012-12-21.
- NextWorld Communications. "State Senator Jeff Schoenberg Endorses Julie Morrison for State Senate". Trib Local. Retrieved 2012-12-21.
- "Congressman John Porter Highlights Support for Julie Morrison". Deerfield Patch. Retrieved 2012-12-21.
- "General Election - 11/6/2012 - 29th Senate". Illinois State Board of Elections. Retrieved 2012-12-21.