Cannabis in the Netherlands
Cannabis was first criminalised in the Netherlands in 1953, following earlier laws against its import and export in 1928. Cannabis was banned much earlier in the Dutch colony of Suriname, in the early part of the 20th century, and in Dutch Indonesia in 1927.
In 1972, the Dutch government divided drugs into more- and less-dangerous categories, with cannabis being in the lesser category. Accordingly, possession of 30 grams or less was made a misdemeanor.
Cannabis has been available for recreational use in coffee shops since 1976. Cannabis products are only sold openly in certain local “coffeeshops” and possession of up to 5 grams for personal use is decriminalised, however, the police may still confiscate it, which often happens in car checks near the border. Other types of sales and transportation are not permitted, although the general approach toward cannabis was lenient even before official decriminalisation.
Since 2003, there has been a legal prescription drug known as “Mediwiet”, available at Dutch pharmacies. There are five different types of medical cannabis in the Netherlands; the fifth contains Cannabidiol and almost no Tetrahydrocannabinol.
- Dirk J. Korf (1995). Dutch Treat: Formal Control and Illicit Drug Use in the Netherlands. Thesis Publishers. p. 272. ISBN 978-90-5170-369-6.
- Rosemarijn Hoefte (1998). In Place of Slavery: A Social History of British Indian and Javanese Laborers in Suriname. University Press of Florida. pp. 160–. ISBN 978-0-8130-1625-2.
- Thomas H. Slone (2003). Prokem. Masalai Press. pp. 26–. ISBN 978-0-9714127-5-0.
- Martin Booth (1 June 2005). Cannabis: A History. Picador. pp. 338–. ISBN 978-0-312-42494-7.
- Michael Tonry (22 September 2015). Crime and Justice, Volume 44: A Review of Research. University of Chicago Press. pp. 261–. ISBN 978-0-226-34102-6.
- Use drop-down menu on site to view Netherlands entry.), Eldd.emcdda.europa.eu, retrieved 2011-02-17
- Drugs Policy in the Netherlands, Ukcia.org, retrieved 2011-02-17
- “Amsterdam Will Ban Tourists from Pot Coffee Shops”. Atlantic Wire. 27 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-23.
- “Office for Medicinal Cannabis of the Netherlands”.
- Media related to Cannabis in the Netherlands at Wikimedia Commons