Cannabis in Tanzania
Cannabis in Tanzania is illegal but remains the most common drug and produced for different usage, such as domestic usage and exporting. It is locally known as bhang. Tanzania is one among countries in Africa which produces cannabis in large quantity.
- Cannabis in Tanzania is cultivated in coastal zone of Tanga, northern zone of Arusha, Manyara and Kilimanjaro, southern highland of Iringa and Lake Zone of Shinyanga and Mara
- Cannabis is mainly produced in rural areas
- It takes four to five month for cannabis to mature compared to other crops like maize.
Other cannabis are imported from outside the country and the main entry is the airport of Dar es salaam, Kilimanjaro International airport (KIA) and the seaport of Dar es salaam and Zanzibar and small airport like Tanga and Mwanza
- Cannabis is used for medicine in rural areas,
- used to cure ailment like ear-ache, fever and malaria.
- Cannabis leaves are used to make and prepare food in rural areas.
- In urban areas people claim that cannabis help to concentrate and relax.
- The government destroyed some of plantation and punish people who were cultivating.
- In Tanzania selling, possessing and cultivating cannabis is an offense
- People cultivate cannabis illegally, they claim that they get profit compared to when they sell other crops.
- People who found with cannabis or using cannabis are caught and get arrested for five years with additional penalties